Friday 15 April 2011

The rooster doth crow friday April 15th 2011


Just thinking what one could do a to fluffy (probably brown) rooster that is unable to recognise that one should, if there is a choice, crow an hour after sunrise rather than two before - it is written that way in the Rosters book of life!

Well it does mean I am bright eyed and bushy tailed for the Karamoja shuttle to NE Uganda this a.m. Have bonus rare visit drop off to Kidepo, a grass strip in the most northern game park of Uganda, might even see a 4 legged something or other.


...7 landings today and surprise surprise just as many take offs. Only 4 legged something seen up north was a lone tusker. Kaabong strong but variable winds on climb out kept one on ones toes as the aircraft di seem to stagger somewhat into the air. Lira was hot & sultry, density altitude went up, so re-did my calculations to make sure I really could get of - well on paper anyway, so made the strip seem shorter than I would like. Moved quite a few people today... Twas a good day.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Bryan, Tricia and family,
    Great to hear from you guys as you enjoy the great heat of my mother land Uganda. I come from Acholi land (Gulu/Kitgum) and have been residing in London for about 8years now.
    I almost became a pilot some years ago but didn't have the funds. My dad was one of the first Ugandans to be trained as a pilot in the early 1960s, unfortunately he was also one of the first to be murdered by Amin in 1971. He trained in Israel then.
    I hope you have a pleasant hospitality from my people (Acholi) and that you find great joy as you discover more about my homeland.
    I must say I'm a bit dissappointed in the way the Acholi people are ignored (by the world and current government) and not given more opportunities in comparison to the people down south and west of Uganda. As I'm sure you would have noticed there is almost no development in Acholi land. People are really struggling on their own. It would be great if the roads, water systems, sewage systems businesses, schools etc were made better for my people. We have suffered so much under all the governments that have been in power. The best times we enjoyed was in the 50s and early part of 60s before colonialism was removed, because then, Acholi people were able to enjoy peace and reasonable prosperity (according to my grand father-now deceased- who fought in the world wars especially second world war).
    sorry for the long stroy, but I think it might get boring every now and then down there for you guys? What do you think?
    Best regards,
    Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to hear from you and so sorry I have not responded earlier, just did not spot the comment. Bryan

    ReplyDelete